You've Got to Read This - The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

I read Marjane Satrapi's The Complete Persepolis in a day.  Loved it.  It's now on my personal list of 'you've got to read this' books.  In it I found a succinct lesson in Iranian history and insight into the societal evolution of a culture that for as long as I can remember has been defined in the West by images that led one to believe that Iran's history began with the revolution.  Satrapi's work allows her readers get to know the people of Iran and Persian culture through a progressive lens.  

I enjoyed reading this graphic memoir as Satrapi leapt from the pages like a caped super hero ready to champion the cause of the powerless.  She made time stop for me as I thought about what I was wearing when Marjane was forced to don hijab, or where I was living when she was alone on the streets of Europe.  She made me think about women around the world who draw on the courage and strength it takes to survive despite the lack of resources, despite oppression. 

When I picked up The Complete Persepolis I didn't know what I would find.  I didn't expect to cheer each time Satrapi opened her mouth and got in trouble for speaking her truths.  Truth is powerful.   It is a force like no other.  It can change lives, bring peace, topple a dictator.  It can restore hope.  I didn't expect to be inspired. 

-Karen Rowe Gilliland, Sisters of the Desert Sun

Comments

  1. I saw the animated movie, and it was fantastic! I will definitely pick up the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts