Sisters of the Desert Sun Read Junot Diaz for June 2018

It was one of those afternoons.  I spent it searching for the next great read for SDS.  After an endless parade of bookstore listings, author websites, and literary events, I didn't expect to find a title for our group.  But I did, buried between the lines of a scathing blog about Junot Diaz that admonished the author for his untoward behavior with another writer I absolutely adore.  My initial reaction was, "No way!  Junot Diaz caught up in the Perv-nado?  Is he even into women?"  But indeed he is.  I read the blog.  Twice.

Putting my judgment on hold, I searched for additional information.  I wanted to know who, what, where, when, how - I needed to know.  I never liked to think I am one of those types of fans, following celebrity news, becoming emotionally invested - angry or hurt when they do not live up to my expectations - but I suppose when it comes to literature, I AM that type of fan!  I texted friends, called family ranting and raving.  (I almost went so far as to post comments on social media!)

Shortly after reading the blog, another friend posted a link to Diaz' article in the New Yorker, and this gave me pause for thought.  Had I been too quick to judgment?  What do you do when you learn the alleged victimizer was once a victim?  I had so many questions.  I was not done.  I offered "This is How You Lose Her" as our June selection and provided links to the blog and the article.  To say we had a spirited discussion is a gross understatement.

Members enjoyed the book, enjoyed the characters and experienced a range of emotions, mostly anger.  Our discourse included whether Yunior's story was really Diaz' memoir, toxic masculinity, cultural paradigms and domestication, players and dogs.  Did we come to a consensus?  No.  Did our discussion bring the clarity we were searching for?  For some, definitely not for all.  The debate rages on as we acknowledge publicly and privately the profound impact sexual misconduct has on countless lives, and will continue as we recognize that this topic has tendrils that lead to other difficult conversations that can no longer be avoided.

-Karen Rowe Gilliland


Comments

  1. nice blog. thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NBA 2K22, players will choose to buy some NBA 2K22 MT to get their favorite player cards.

    Attached link: https://www.gamems.com/nba-2k22-mt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts