Celebrating Loving Day

In June, members of Sisters of the Desert Sun celebrated Loving Day, remembering the Supreme Court case, Loving vs. the State of Virginia, which put an end to miscegenation laws prohibiting interracial marriage across the United States.

Our mission of creating community was realized through this celebration of humanity and love.  It provided a safe space for our blended families to share the depth of our experiences.    

Many stories were told, some reminiscent of Tony and Maria, some of societal disdain, and others of family acceptance.  One story shared was that of Mixed Me: A Tale of a Girl Who is Both Black and White by Tiffany Catledge.  A precious story of self-awareness and acceptance, Mixed Me was shared with all those who attended, most importantly the children.

You can find out more about Loving vs. the State of Virginia and creating your own Loving Day celebration by visiting www.lovingday.org.  For information about Sisters of the Desert Sun e-mail us at sistersofthedesertsun@gmail.com or visit us on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Thank you for highlighting my book! I am so happy to see you enjoyed it! Growing up, there were no books out there that I could I could find "me" in so when I grew up I decided to go ahead and write one! I will also mention that my awesome illustrator is a 17 year high school senior and SO talented! Visit me on FB if you would like!
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, we are delighted to support your work and look forward to your series. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts