Sisters of the Desert Sun Meet Don Miguel Ruiz, Jr.

I rushed toward Changing Hands bookstore in Tempe, dripping with 120-degree weather sweat and panting because it felt like I was breathing through a wet cloth.  It's monsoon season and evenings are frequently met with sandstorms, heavy rains and flash floods.  On a typical day, I would have gone home to lament over my soul crushing workload and the daily challenges I encounter navigating personalities in the workplace.  My routine is a focused commute, inspired by the thought of air conditioning gliding across my bare legs and an ice cold Perrier across my brow.  But on one incredible day this July, I stopped on the way and was changed forever.

Having read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, Sr., I couldn't miss the opportunity to see his son in person.  The Mastery of Self had to be the SDS choice for July.  A chance to be in the presence of Toltec wisdom was something that could not be missed.  The parking lot was packed with cars and the spot I found was a good distance away.  I practically jogged to the door.  As I stopped outside to balance my bag and the suit jacket that I did not need in such heat, I noticed someone approaching and turned to look.  "Oh, my God.  It's you!" I exclaimed.  "Yes, it is me."  With that, Don Miguel, Jr. bowed and then embraced me.  "Thank you for being here."  

I know how this sounds, but I felt his spirit.  He exuded peace and calm.  In an instant my stress and anxiety melted away.  I knew I was about to be blown away.  The seating area was tucked away behind the rows and columns of books.  The room smelled of knowledge and novels, and hummed with controlled excitement.  Don Miguel approached the lectern and captivated us all.  He spoke about so many things.  I was particularly touched by his lessons on domestication and unconditional love.  He spoke for over an hour and it felt like only minutes has passed.  

This wasn't a typical author event.  He didn't read an excerpt from his book and take questions from the audience.  He engaged us all by taking us on a journey through the concepts of Toltec wisdom.  At the end, I stood on line and waited to have another moment with this amazing author.  After a brief chat and exchange of thanks yous, Don Miguel signed my book with an inscription that quite defined what I experienced that evening.  It read "to Karen with all my love, Miguel".  

-Karen Rowe Gilliland

Comments

Popular Posts